Monday 8 February 2016

8 February to Alte

Only 19.3 kilometres today. After taking a somewhat circuitous route to start with, the path followed a valley to Alte. The scenery was pleasant rather than dramatic passing through areas of apparently abandoned farmland, the terraces and stone walls still present together with olive and other trees. The best part was a short section of footpath, as opposed to the road, farm or forestry tracks that the Via Algarviana is usually composed of, which followed some of the old terracing.
The route has now entered a limestone area with numerous wells often with devices for pumping the water out consisting of large blue handwheels or more rarely a chain of buckets passing over a wheel. I passed a couple walking the Via Algarviana in the opposite direction, I was the first walker they had seen in 8 days.
I am noticing the way people stare at me without saying anything, for example in the petrol station coffee shop I stopped at today. The lady behind the counter was helpful but some of the customers possibly thought I was from Mars, maybe they do not see many walkers.
I am staying at the Alte hotel which seems good value, it is a little before Alte so I walked into town, my progress telegraphed by the dogs at each building I passed. It is a pleasant place with cobbled streets and white-washed buildings. The church was open for visitors which is unusual and there were several tourists around possibly from the motorhomes in the car park. While quietly walking back a stern looking old lady said something to me. As it was in Portuguese I did not understand what but felt guilty all the same. Was it because I smiled politely at her?
Meet a British cyclist at dinner (grilled bacalhau) touring the area.

Alte


No comments:

Post a Comment