Thursday 21 January 2016

Via Algarviana (GR13) in Portugal as part of E4 cross Europe Trail

Starting in September 2014 following early retirement, I have been walking the E4 cross Europe walk (report on my walk on E4), which is one of the ultra long distance trails created by the European Ramblers Association. The official E4 path starts in Tarifa at the very south of Spain, and the most southern point in mainland Europe, and ends in Cyprus. So far I have walked from Tarifa to Lake Constance in Switzerland in four 5 week sections (the longest I can manage without seeing my wife). However the next section in Austria and Germany is best not walked in winter, at least not for someone of my abilities, so I was looking for somewhere to walk in winter. I noticed that the Via Algarviana footpath in Portugal was pitching to be the new, more westerly start for the E4 (see Via Algarviana website), and this area of the Algarve, the mountains behind the more popular coast, sounded as if it would be very pleasant to walk in February (a lot more pleasant than the Pembrokeshire coast path in January from which I have recently returned and which was very wet and windy, albeit a good way to loose some Christmas fat).

After the Via Algarviana I wanted to link up with the start of the E4 in Tarifa. Due to the lack of places to cross the River Guadalquivir, this means first going from the end of the Via Algarviana at Alcoutim in Portugal to Seville (not that visiting the beautiful city of Seville is any hardship). From Seville my intention is to follow the Way of St James (the Via Augusta section of the Camino de Santiago) in the wrong direction towards Cadiz (see pilgrims route from Cadiz to Seville), and then follow the coast to Tarifa.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I would like to know how to link Alcoutim with Seville and Cadiz with Tarifa because probably I will do the same during the spring!
    Sergio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sergio, If you have a gps (I had a Garmin eTrex 30) you can follow the route I did by loading the relevant gpx files. My last post (http://www.johnpone4.blogspot.co.uk/2016_03_01_archive.html) has links to posts summarizing the four main stages, in which I give links to the where the gpx files are located. Hope you enjoy the walk!
      John P

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete