Friday 4 March 2016

2 March to La Torre de la Pena

Another lovely day of 22.2 kilometres. Instead of walking along the beach I started through several developments of apartment blocks with neat and tidy gardens between them. Everything looked closed: hotels, the shutters on apartment windows, shops and restaurants (thwarting my wish to find some tostada for breakfast). The only activity was the construction of more apartments, villas and a hotel that had been signposted up to 2.3 km away (with the implication that it was actually finished). The road then ran into a more mountainous area, climbing passed a 500 year old watch tower, now used as a lighthouse, into pine trees and rocks for a few kilometres to the next bay where there were extensive roman ruins and a cafe which provided me with a late breakfast / early lunch. After the houses and petered out, the track led through beautiful pine woods twisting and turning (a gps helps to keep you on the right path) before dunes and a secluded bay with abandoned wooden boats with Arabic names. Left from refugees coming from Africa, visible in the distance? I wondered if this was why I had seen so many Civil Guards in patrolling the coast.
Crossing the beach from one range of hills to the next I arrived at Camping Torre de la Pena, where I camped 18 months earlier when I started my E4 walk (or GR7 as it is across Spain) across Spain, France and Switzerland. They still had my scanned passport on their computer.
I passed a few military areas in my walk today, easily spotted by the multiple rows of barbed wire or razor wire, but easy to avoid.



No comments:

Post a Comment