Thursday 10 March 2016

Extension of E4 long distance footpath to link up with Via Algarviana

My 32 day walk showed that you can extend the European E4 long distance walk so that you start at Cabo Sao Vicente in Portugal, in the south west corner of Europe, rather than Tarifa in Spain. This adds 755 kilometres (472 miles) but truly makes this a walk from one extremity of Europe to the other. The walk falls in four parts, details of each part can be found under the links below, and blogs of each day, with distances walked and where I stayed, appear in the preceding daily posts. The route I used does offer a great diversity of scenery, accommodation that does not rely on wild camping and takes you through a number of historic towns, but certainly there are options to improve on it.

Via Algarviana

Alcoutim to Seville

Camino de Santiago route from Seville to Puerto Real

Coastal route from Puerto Real to Tarifa

If you enjoyed this blog, then see how I got on later in my journey on the E4 at the following links:

Report of walk to date on E4

Blog of my walk on the E4 through Hungary, Serbia, Bulgaria, Greece and Cyprus.

Update: Based on my travels on the E4 I have written a book "Six Pairs of Boots: Spain to Cyprus on the E4 Trail" by John Pucknell available from Amazon.co.ukAmazon.com, the Bookdepository.comlehmanns.debookspot.nl, and other good online bookstores.


1 comment:

  1. Really liked the blog. An inspiration. Going to read the rest of it, starting with Hungary. Thanks very much!

    ReplyDelete