Friday 4 March 2016

1 March to Zahara de las Atunes

An almost perfect walk for St David's day, 28 kilometres with the sun shining in a clear blue sky, without the wind that buffeted me yesterday but cool enough for pleasant walking. The beach was quiet today except for fisherman beach casting along the long stretch of sand leading up to Point Trafalgar (no signs I could see but it is where Nelson defeated a combined French and Spanish fleet back in 1805). More walking took me through the village of Los Canos de Meca (apparently referring to springs of water so sweet they reminded the Moors of Mecca), then up over the top of cliffs through pine trees and coastal juniper, wild lavender and rosemary, tiny pink flowers and bigger yellow flowers. After passing a 16th century watch tower (one of a number along the coast) I walked on into Barbate, a sizable town with government port facilities and the only tedious section of road walking of the day (although good for a chance to get a cheese boccadillo), then more and more beach leading to Zahara de las Atunes near where I have now pitched tent in Camping Bahia.
It is a clean and well maintained site, with one problem, there was no-one at reception so I just set up my tent and tried again later. The sign at reception said back in 15 minutes, just as it did 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour and 2 hours later, so I walked back into town for diner (la Cena) at the impressive Gran Sol Hotel, the only place that seemed to be open, but with a smartly turned out waiter (he only had one other couple to serve). I tried again to pay for my pitch in the morning. The campsite reception staff would still be back in 15 minutes so I left the correct money on the window ledge of the reception and hoped it would not blow away and reach the right person...when they arrived.



No comments:

Post a Comment