Friday 4 March 2016

3 March to Tarifa & home

Today was both my last day and the only day when I had to retrace my steps a long way (well a kilometre or so) so rather longer than stated by the signpost saying a 6.2 km walk near the campsite. After returning to the beach, and seeing some new E4 (GR7) signs and waymarks that were not there 18 months ago, I decided to walk across the beach to Tarifa but was prevented by a small river crossing the beach close to Tarifa. I could probably have waded through but I was traveling home today in my cleanest set of clothes and did not want to end up all sticky, so I headed back across the beach to Camping Rio Jara and joined the road there, and then joined the boardwalk across the nature reserve, retracing my steps of 18 months ago and passing egrets, cormorants and the like. You cannot actually get to the most southerly point in mainland Europe as it is a restricted area, but on arriving at Tarifa I went as far south as I could across a causeway.
Then a bus to La Linea, a short walk into Gibraltar, flight to Bristol and a bus back home arriving in the early hours of 4 March.

Most southerly point in mainland Europe, Africa in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment