Thursday 11 February 2016

10 February to Cachopo - almost

The path is moving into progressively more remote countryside with lots of hills to climb covered in scrub, some cork and pine trees. Occasionally the pine trees are on plantations. I lunched at Parises. The snack bar looked closed but I peered in through the hanging chains across the door and found the lights on and a man and woman eating a bean stew, the lady wearing a straw hat. I used my phrase book to ask for some food and then said "Si" to whatever the good lady suggested. This turned out to be eggs, tomatoes and pieces of meat the shape and taste of slices of chorizo sausage. Oranges for desert, the first time I was offered them despite seeing them ripe on trees in fields and gardens (although in subsequent days, slices of oranges with cinnamon proved a popular desert). Then doughnut type things with coffee, a much appreciated feast, although a bit heavy for the afternoon's walking.
There being no convenient accommodation I wild camped by a stream after a days walk of 29.7 kilometres. Due to steep slopes, a lot of undergrowth, including brambles that would tear my lightweight tent, finding a suitable camping spot was not easy, especially as I like to be out of sight as far as possible in case anyone did not like my presence. I need not have worried as no one drove along the nearby tracks that night and I slept to the gentle sound of turning wind turbines which smudged the clouds with their red lights. It rained occasionally during the day and rained again that night, awakening me from my sleep, fortunately my tent (a Nordisc telemark) resisted both the rain and intermittent wind (although I was glad I camped in the valley where it was more sheltered).


No comments:

Post a Comment