Friday 19 February 2016

19 February to Paterna del Campo

Today's route was more as I imagined when I planned my route from Alcoutim to Seville, a quiet country, dirt road among fields. After walking through La Palma town among parents taking their little children to school or a nursery, I headed north on a metalled road (HU4103) along a tarmaced footpath with fit ladies speed walking and old men taking their morning exercise more slowly. I left them and turned right onto a road called in parts the Camino de la Pastora. It was long and straight, taking me all the way to Paterna del Campo, passing through unfenced arable land with the occasional grove of ancient looking olive trees. In all six cars passed me over some 16 kilometres and one horse ridden by two young boys. Six greyhounds were following one of the cars and another car stopped to (I think) offer me a lift, to which I gestured my refusal, hopefully in a polite way. A gentle days walk of 18.3 kilometres
The hotel (Pension La Ruta) was not where it was reported to be on "booking.com", but after a little help from the locals I am now safely installed. Later I walked around the village, it has a smart church and square, and my attention was drawn to Latin American music coming from a bar the size of a small room. I had a glass of the local white wine, enjoying the music and olives while an older man sitting outside (a smoker) anticipated the lyrics. He must have appreciated the audience as he bought me a second glass of wine. It's difficult when you do not know the language to say more than a clumsy thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment