Monday 22 February 2016

22 February to Utrera

The route I am now following in the Cadiz direction is the Way of St James also called the Camino de Santiago, which is intended to be walked in the opposite direction towards Santiago del Compostela, where the relics of St James lie in its cathedral, and a pilgrim route since the Middle ages. I downloaded a gpx track of the route, unfortunately the last 20km to Seville did not display on my gps. I have a description of the route but as it is a Google translation and written for walking in the opposite direction I am finding it of limited use. I asked for information at a tourist information office in Seville but came up blank. So I followed the direct road towards Dos Hermanas, the town in the middle of today's route. Initially all was well as I could follow pavements and cycle paths into the suburbs. Then I reached the twin obstacles of a motorway interchange and a wide drainage canal. The cycle path petered out in an area of new office blocks not on my gps and I had to make a wide detour to the west get back on the road to Dos Hermanos. I made a number of attempts to find quieter routes off the main road but these were of limited success.
After a walk through Dos Hermanos, which has a pleasant centre, I was able to join the gpx trail of the Pilgrim's route. The first part was on a track next to the railway line that was pleasingly straight and quiet apart from the odd train. It passed huge fields farmed on a very large scale.
The next part went along the "Vereda de Dos Hermana". This was a corridor of pines and other natural vegetation which ran between large olive and orange groves. As I sat down to rest at one point a hare hopped by, I  am sure the natural vegetation by the path helps to preserve wildlife in an otherwise highly cultivated landscape.
Rather footsore after a long day I walked to the Pension Hidalgo in Utrera where the owner, once summoned by cell phone, practised his English on me, he was left wondering why a double room has one rather than two beds, why do we call two beds a twin?

The way of St James following a railway line

Vereda de Dos Hermana

No comments:

Post a Comment