Wednesday 17 February 2016

17 February to Trigueros

After walking a few kilometres down the main road I joined up with an abandoned railway line (Antiguo Ferrocarril de la Compania de Azufre y Cobre, a railway originally used for suphur and copper mines). Many such lines have been converted to cycle and walking paths (Via Verdes) but not this one yet. Still I was able to follow it a few kilometres with only a few fallen pine trees to go around, as it past through orange groves in a green corridor, even over a small newly installed wooden bridge. Some mean spirited farmer stopped my progress with a high fence across the track blocking the way. I very much doubt he owned this piece of track and it spoilt it for people like me (I know others were following the old line as there were bicycle tyre marks and footprints). All was not lost however as a small, tarmaced, public road crossed the old railway a little before the obstructive fence.
This road took me through orange and olive groves, most protected (from what?) by high fences and barbed wire. It took me much of the way to Gibraleon which was a busy little town with multiple stork nests in the church tower.
I headed out on the main road to Trigueros and then took a chance on another small tarmaced road which wove in and out of fields and little settlements, these had small houses set in allotment sized gardens. At one point a man told me from his garden that I could not camp around here (at least that is what I think he said) I told him I was staying in a hotel at Trigeuros. I thought I would have to return past said man and retrace my steps for several miles when the tarmac stopped at a little group of houses, but it continued as a rough track for a few kilometres before becoming a drive-able road again at a solar farm.
Finally, I rejoined the main road and walked into Trigueros, after covering a total of 31.5 km. Not the prettiest of towns although there was an old convent and church (complete with funeral in progress) and a little chapel for St Anthony where I "lit" an electric candle for my trip. Hotel Cuidad Trigueros was not difficult to find as there were signs to it all over town. On old building with an attractive staircase (and a complimentary glass of orange wine), it had a smart, recently decorated interior and the owners spoke English, something I had not heard much of in my walk.

Walking between high fences

No comments:

Post a Comment