Sunday 21 February 2016

21 February to Seville

Decided to take the most obvious road into Seville as it was Sunday and traffic was light. After a kilometre or so a cycle path and pavement appeared which were present almost all the way into Seville making for safe walking, although the multicolour flocks of Sunday cyclists stuck mainly to the road, describing gentle, synchonised curves. For breakfast I bought churros (a fried dough a bit like doughnuts but in strips and without sugar) and chocolate sauce to dip them in. The stall selling them outside a petrol station was doing a brisk trade with a queue of people, the thing to take home to the family it seems on a Sunday morning, however a bit heavy for walking on.
A string of "urbanizations" and towns were strung out along the road adding interest, and for the last bit I headed for the Camas-Seville cycle path that took me over the large Guadalquivir river and passed a flea market in a carpark. The lack of bridges across the Guadalquivir to the south had forced me to take my route through Seville, where one must also cross the Canal de Alfonso XIII. A man asked me if I was walking Camino into Santiago, the long distance path most commonly known about in Spain. I told him no, he said good as Santiago was in the opposite direction.
For the final section I followed the banks of the Canal de Alfonso XIII with couples hand in hand and people taking their small dogs or children for a Sunday walk. I am staying in the old Santa Cruz Muslim then Jewish quarter at the Hotel Murillo where I first stayed over 30 years ago. Since then Seville seems to have got a lot busier.
Despite a 22.3 km walk, I still had the energy for a "free" guided walk around Santa Cruz by a young lady with a yellow umbrella, I am sure the requested tips were more than they would have reasonably charged, however it was a very informative tour showing things you would not otherwise have noticed or read about.


No comments:

Post a Comment