Wednesday 24 February 2016

24 February to El Cuervo

Two things made my walk less than perfect today, firstly, worrying that someone would castigate me for walking across their land, secondly, the Melendo nature reserve was a disappointment. Fear of being accosted was greatest in the early part of the walk along some little used tracks, in one case a short distance along a field boundary with no track and multiple barking dogs from a nearby group of barns (which Google was translating as ships!). I was glad no-one appeared, no doubt the dogs had been left in charge.
Later the route went along a canal and then a well used track which went past the nature reserve. This consisted of a lake or reservoir hidden behind pine trees and firmly fenced off and secured by padlocks, so there was little to see, I had been  naively hoping for some kind of extension of the Doñana National park on the other side of the Guadalquivir river. I was getting a little more confident with where I was going when I could see yellow arrows (as in photo below) which show pilgrims the way to Santiago. Of course they pointed the opposite way to the one I was going and I needed to look behind (on the south side of) road signs and crash barriers to find them.
I reached the small town of Lebrija for lunch, a place with an attractive pedestrianised area in the centre as well as the usual churches and religious foundations. Then it was 10 kms, mainly on well used dirt track to El Cuervo where I am staying at the stylish (inside) Hotel Enfasis, making 30.6 kms in all today.

Yellow arrow marking the Way of St James

No comments:

Post a Comment